I am joining another game jam, Games Aid Mental Health Jam, with the theme “Mental Health”.
I though it would be fun to share my thought process and how I came up with the game design of my game.
Being pulled down
Losing your voice
Wanting to cry
Smile / face – walking default face is sad, then need to operate smile as soon as encounter someone
- Smile as close to the person
- Rhythm game style
- We are all happy
Or avoid people, side scroller- smile at people to destroy them
Deep Sea Girl
Story / poetry game?
Calmly lying on the water, peaceful then suddenly drown / fall in
Scribble person on top of real video of water
Then change perspective to drowning
binaural audio underwater
I might have videos from sony xperia of under water
Waves crashing and killing camera video lol
Keep my head above the waves
Something is pulling you down
If you don’t move, you will keep sinking
Collect something will give you a boost
Combine particles, scribbly sketch and video backgrounds
I just want to float away
I’m not okay
- I feel like drowning
- like this weight on my chest
- I feel this rush of emotions, like a tidal wave bringing me down
- its sudden, its doesn’t have to be triggered
- It just happens, like a tsunami
- I don’t know when to expect it
- but when it does, i just try to hold on
- you know when you are underwater, looking up and you see that light from the sun?
- just focus on that light
- eventually i will float back up
There is a sense of helplessness, like you cant control, but at the same time, you do. You can change your narrative, you can control at least learn to.
Have orchestra/ music that builds up based on the glowy thingies collected?
Change controls -> rotate instead of strafe
Hard to control on purpose
sometimes you need to sink to reach the glowy things
Sinking Ever Still